Skip to main content

CHIVES!

Our chives are back, and I can't wait to use them! 

There's nothing like walking out into the garden and snipping some fresh herbs while you're cooking.  I love it!  I have rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, and of course, chives.  They're the only ones showing up so far. 

Here are a few of our favorite recipes with chives, and a few we have on the "to try" list.  I don't like fish - sorry, I know that's lame, but I don't.  If you do, just google chive recipes or check out www.foodnetwork.com, etc. and you'll find lots of fish recipes with chives. 

Chive Lime Butter
This one is fantastic on sweet corn, or even on grilled chicken or pork. 


1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika (optional)
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)

When butter has reached room temperature, place all the ingredients in a medium bowl.  Beat the ingredients together with a mixer or use a fork.  Lay out a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface.   Transfer the butter mix onto the paper and shape into a log.  Roll the cylinder up in the wax paper and twist the ends of the paper.  Place the butter log in the refrigerator to harden before use.

Blue Cheese Dip

Grilled Potatoes With Chive Sauce

Chive & Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Bacon, Blue Cheese & Chive Stuffed Pork Chops

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Creamy Chive Dressing

Sugar Snap Peas with Chives


Cheesy Herbed Popovers

Cheddar Chive Biscuits

Chive Biscuits

Skinny Mashed Potatoes

Chicken in Parmesan Chive Cream Sauce

Mince some chives, and then sprinkle away!  Use them to top a baked potato with a little sour cream.  Toss them in with some steamed or grilled potatoes.  Top baked potato soup.  Add to your salad.  Sprinkle over some French onion soup, sprinkle over steamed or grilled veggies - the list goes on!  Feel free to share your favorite chive recipes in the comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Layered Mexican Trifle Salad

So this is awesome.  It's a lot of work, but it is awesome.  Feeds a crowd, looks cool, tastes great.  What more can you ask for?  I first had this at a party, and then tracked down the recipe - I believe it was originally from Pampered Chef.  You can mix it up, but I really like this combo.  It's easy to double or whatever is needed, based on the serving dish.  The one pictured was MASSIVE, and was basically a triple batch - so much work, and at the last minute! Layered Mexican Trifle Salad I ngredients: Beans: drain, rinse and mix together 1 15 oz. can pinto beans and 1 15 oz. can black beans 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained (I've also used fresh) 1 large tomato, diced (I usually use several Roma tomatoes) 2 green bell peppers, diced 3 ripe avocadoes, diced and mashed with the juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper to taste 1 large onion, diced (red or white) 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded 2 cups cheddar or...

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti & Asiago Cheese

We ALL really love this recipe. This is based on a recipe from the good people at Cooks Illustrated - I am grateful to them for getting my kids to happily eat sundried tomatoes and broccoli!  I've also made this in a huge batch and served it family-style for a dinner party (and got to use my giant Pampered Chef Simple Additions square pasta bowl (it's really big), and it was AWESOME).  If people could have licked the bowl clean, they might have - there was NOTHING left. Try this, and love it: Chicken, Broccoli, Penne and Asiago Cheese  Skillet 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch squares 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or olive oil - just don't heat that to smoking) 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup) 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.) 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes 8 oz. ziti or penne (2 /12 cups) 3 c. water 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth 3-4 c. broccoli florets 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chop...

Shredded Korean-Style Beef

I could eat this Korean-style shredded beef every week - the kids love it, the husband loves it, and it's so easy! This recipe is a great one for a freezer meal, too - I usually make a double batch to serve half and freeze the other half. It's a go-to when I need a meal to share with a someone who needs one in our school community. I'll throw in a bag of tortilla chips and guac with pico, some fresh pineapple or other fruit, and all of the fixings for the tacos.  You can even buy pre-washed lettuce leaves for wraps if you want to include those and you want a short-cut.  It seems to be a universal favorite for kids and adults. Shredded Korean-Style Beef 2-3 lb. chuck roast 1/2 medium white onion, diced 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp. rice vinegar 1 tsp. sesame oil 1/3 c. honey 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground) 1/2 jalapeno, minced 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper Put in the roast and onions in your slow cooker, and whi...