Skip to main content

Turkey & Black Bean Empanadas

I have a love-hate relationship with The Food Network..... 

This was a recipe from "Quick Fix Meals with Robin Miller" from 2007 on the Food Network, back when I watched it more.  There were more cooking shows, and fewer weird contests and bake-offs and less Guy Fieri (I just cannot handle the dirty mustache shots on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" - sorry - I like the idea of the show, though).  For me, it's kind of like how MTV used to show videos, and now I don't even think they do, but I'm not exactly tuning in to MTV much these days, so I could be wrong.  Anyway, I digress. 

I liked Robin Miller's show, because she would make a couple meals out of similar ingredients or leftovers, so you could make one and prep one and stash it for later in the week.  They were all usually healthy, or at least healthier, too, if I recall.  On the episode that featured these, she had roasted a turkey, and then used leftover meat to make these babies for another meal. 

Turkey and Black Bean Empanadas
2-3 c. roasted turkey (or chicken), shredded
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 c. shredded Monterey or pepper jack cheese
1/2 c. shredded cheddar
1/2 c. prepared salsa
2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 (9") refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg, beaten with water, for egg wash

*I felt like the filling was a little dry, so I added a little more salsa, and also sauteed some onions, bell peppers and jalapeno I had, diced nice and small, and mixed that in.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  In a large bowl, combine turkey, black beans, both cheeses, salsa, cilantro, and cumin. Mix well to combine.  Unroll pie crusts onto a flat surface. Using 4-inch cutter (a drinking glass works, too), cut out 6 circles.  (I rolled them out a little more so I had enough room to work - "pastry work" is not my forte - the results just don't turn out pretty.) 

Divide turkey mixture into equal portions and place each portion (in mounds) on top of the pie crusts. Fold over and pinch the edges together to seal. Using a fork, make hash marks on the edges of the empanadas to ensure they are sealed. Transfer empanadas to a large baking sheet.  Using a sharp knife, make small slits in the top of each empanada to allow steam to escape during cooking. Brush with egg wash and place into preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes, until crust is golden brown.

I would serve them with some sour cream and salsa on the side.  Or maybe a salsa ranch dipping sauce...These could also make a good appetizer - maybe just make them a little smaller...

I tested for the freezer - here's a pic of them par-baked for about 5-6 min.  Not pretty at this stage, but you get the idea. I froze on a tray, then put into a freezer bag (could use a foil pan).  Thawed in fridge, baked at 400 until golden - it doesn't take long, so watch or the edges get pretty toasty.

Popular posts from this blog

Layered Mexican Trifle Salad

So this is awesome.  It's a lot of work, but it is awesome.  Feeds a crowd, looks cool, tastes great.  What more can you ask for?  I first had this at a party, and then tracked down the recipe - I believe it was originally from Pampered Chef.  You can mix it up, but I really like this combo.  It's easy to double or whatever is needed, based on the serving dish.  The one pictured was MASSIVE, and was basically a triple batch - so much work, and at the last minute! Layered Mexican Trifle Salad I ngredients: Beans: drain, rinse and mix together 1 15 oz. can pinto beans and 1 15 oz. can black beans 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained (I've also used fresh) 1 large tomato, diced (I usually use several Roma tomatoes) 2 green bell peppers, diced 3 ripe avocadoes, diced and mashed with the juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper to taste 1 large onion, diced (red or white) 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded 2 cups cheddar or...

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti & Asiago Cheese

We ALL really love this recipe. This is based on a recipe from the good people at Cooks Illustrated - I am grateful to them for getting my kids to happily eat sundried tomatoes and broccoli!  I've also made this in a huge batch and served it family-style for a dinner party (and got to use my giant Pampered Chef Simple Additions square pasta bowl (it's really big), and it was AWESOME).  If people could have licked the bowl clean, they might have - there was NOTHING left. Try this, and love it: Chicken, Broccoli, Penne and Asiago Cheese  Skillet 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch squares 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or olive oil - just don't heat that to smoking) 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup) 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.) 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes 8 oz. ziti or penne (2 /12 cups) 3 c. water 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth 3-4 c. broccoli florets 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chop...

Shredded Korean-Style Beef

I could eat this Korean-style shredded beef every week - the kids love it, the husband loves it, and it's so easy! This recipe is a great one for a freezer meal, too - I usually make a double batch to serve half and freeze the other half. It's a go-to when I need a meal to share with a someone who needs one in our school community. I'll throw in a bag of tortilla chips and guac with pico, some fresh pineapple or other fruit, and all of the fixings for the tacos.  You can even buy pre-washed lettuce leaves for wraps if you want to include those and you want a short-cut.  It seems to be a universal favorite for kids and adults. Shredded Korean-Style Beef 2-3 lb. chuck roast 1/2 medium white onion, diced 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp. rice vinegar 1 tsp. sesame oil 1/3 c. honey 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground) 1/2 jalapeno, minced 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper Put in the roast and onions in your slow cooker, and whi...