Skip to main content

Power Prep

This is the way to go.

Before I did a brief post on power cooking - as I had said, it's not really my thing.  Power PREP, however, is definitely my thing. I like to do things in advance whenever I can, and if I find a block of time to do some power prep, I go for it.  Basically, I buy large amounts of ground beef, Italian sausage, boneless, skinless chicken breast, a beef or pork roast, veggies, etc. and get them all prepped and broken down to use in future recipes.

As I mentioned in my power cooking post, I like to snag packages of bell peppers from the "clearance" produce rack at Sendik's - last night I picked up 3 packages of green bell peppers, and 1 package of red and yellow peppers.  I washed them, seeded them, and then cut some into thin strips and diced the rest.  I froze them in bags to use for fajitas, add to casseroles, stir frys, and other dishes.  I did the same with some onions.  I also like to cut up celery and carrots and throw them in containers for easy snacking and adding to dishes.  It's cheaper than buying the pre-cut ones at the store.  I had a bunch of celery from a recipe where I just needed a little bit, so we made some celery sticks up to have for snacks.
 
I also bought several pounds of ground beef and browned it with some diced onions, then drained it, and froze it in manageable amounts.  Then I can take it out for sloppy joes, tacos, spaghetti sauce, chili - whatever I might need.  It's much quicker that thawing, browning, and draining, and then adding to to your dish that night.  There was a package of breakfast sausage in the freezer, so I thawed that and browned it up, too.  Ditto for the package of Italian sausage that was on sale.  It's nice to add some to a pizza or a calzone, and just use a little bit at a time. 

I like to buy chicken in large quantities when it's on sale, too, so I threw a big family package of boneless skinless chicken breasts into the oven and cooked them with some pepper, garlic powder, and a little broth.  I've also thrown them into a crock pot and done the same.  Then I cut some into strips and chunks, and shred some, and again, package it for easy additions to casseroles, tacos, wraps, etc. 

All of that took about an hour, and I could do other things while waiting for the meat to cook, and then I only had one big clean-up, too.  Bonus!

Popular posts from this blog

Layered Mexican Trifle Salad

So this is awesome.  It's a lot of work, but it is awesome.  Feeds a crowd, looks cool, tastes great.  What more can you ask for?  I first had this at a party, and then tracked down the recipe - I believe it was originally from Pampered Chef.  You can mix it up, but I really like this combo.  It's easy to double or whatever is needed, based on the serving dish.  The one pictured was MASSIVE, and was basically a triple batch - so much work, and at the last minute! Layered Mexican Trifle Salad I ngredients: Beans: drain, rinse and mix together 1 15 oz. can pinto beans and 1 15 oz. can black beans 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained (I've also used fresh) 1 large tomato, diced (I usually use several Roma tomatoes) 2 green bell peppers, diced 3 ripe avocadoes, diced and mashed with the juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper to taste 1 large onion, diced (red or white) 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded 2 cups cheddar or...

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti & Asiago Cheese

We ALL really love this recipe. This is based on a recipe from the good people at Cooks Illustrated - I am grateful to them for getting my kids to happily eat sundried tomatoes and broccoli!  I've also made this in a huge batch and served it family-style for a dinner party (and got to use my giant Pampered Chef Simple Additions square pasta bowl (it's really big), and it was AWESOME).  If people could have licked the bowl clean, they might have - there was NOTHING left. Try this, and love it: Chicken, Broccoli, Penne and Asiago Cheese  Skillet 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch squares 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or olive oil - just don't heat that to smoking) 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup) 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.) 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes 8 oz. ziti or penne (2 /12 cups) 3 c. water 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth 3-4 c. broccoli florets 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chop...

Shredded Korean-Style Beef

I could eat this Korean-style shredded beef every week - the kids love it, the husband loves it, and it's so easy! This recipe is a great one for a freezer meal, too - I usually make a double batch to serve half and freeze the other half. It's a go-to when I need a meal to share with a someone who needs one in our school community. I'll throw in a bag of tortilla chips and guac with pico, some fresh pineapple or other fruit, and all of the fixings for the tacos.  You can even buy pre-washed lettuce leaves for wraps if you want to include those and you want a short-cut.  It seems to be a universal favorite for kids and adults. Shredded Korean-Style Beef 2-3 lb. chuck roast 1/2 medium white onion, diced 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp. rice vinegar 1 tsp. sesame oil 1/3 c. honey 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground) 1/2 jalapeno, minced 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper Put in the roast and onions in your slow cooker, and whi...