Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken Philly Sandwiches

They were really good - so good, I couldn't get the camera for a photo fast enough.

Last week, we got off track from the menu plan - we had to make some room on the freezer with a crazy meal swap coming up, and we're trying to finish off some of the mystery packages in the bottom of the freezer.

One of the random fridge/freezer-clearing meals turned out to be chicken philly sandwiches with some boneless, skinless chicken breast, frozen green peppers I had sliced up a few weeks ago, and sliced onion left from the endless carnitas I'd been making.  I threw in some garlic and pepper for taste, and then served them on some french bread rolls I had in the freezer with provolone cheese and a little horseradish sauce.   We had some roasted broccoli on the side, and a few leftover fries we had in the freezer.  SO, here's a recipe (I'm guessing on amounts, since I just toss) - I think this could easily be made into a freezer meal.   You can tweak the flavors, too...


Chicken Philly Sandwiches

1-1/2 lb. or so boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1/2"pieces
1 tsp. evoo
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp.  freshly ground black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 medium onion, sliced thinly

6 slices of provolone cheese
french bread rolls, sliced
horseradish sauce (optional)

To make a freezer meal of it, I'd slice the chicken, add the garlic, Worchestershire, evoo and seasoning in a bag.  Then I'd include the veggies in a separate bag.  It's pretty simple, but hey....

To prepare, season the chicken, heat the oil in the pan, then add your chicken.  Once the chicken is cooked, add the veggies, and cook until tender.  You can add a little broth or water if you need some liquid.  Toast your rolls, add the cheese, and then scoop on the meat & veggies.  Spread a little horsey sauce on, and you're ready to rock.

1 comment:

  1. You cook like me - I just toss. This drives my hubby crazy! I hardly follow a recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete