Skip to main content

Quick & Easy Cinnamon Rolls

I needed to do a practice run for the 2 upcoming bake sales I need to contribute goodies to.   As I am terrible at kneading and letting dough rise, and managing the time - I will more than likely walk away and forget about the poor lump of dough - I tried a recipe where I could do the dough in the bread machine, and get around all of that.   Last time I made them the traditional way, I ended up being up way, way too late at night so they would be ready for the morning, and it was not fun.  They were AWESOME, but stressful. This method worked out well - I'd make them again - it was ridiculously easy. (See that little crazy one in the top of the picture, by the way?   That was an end piece I squeezed in there, and it was just like a built-in sample piece, so I went ahead and grabbed it as soon as they came out of the oven.)  I made 2 9" rounds, and squeezed 8-9 rolls in each one, and then I baked one pan, and stuck the other one in the freezer for another time.

Quick & Easy Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls


Dough:
2 tsp. yeast
2 1/3 c. all-purpose white flour
1 c. whole wheat flour*
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
3 tbsp. water
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. unsalted butter (1/2 stick)

*I've done all AP flour before when I was out of WW, and they're lovely

Filling:
3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter, softened (1/2 stick)
a little splash of vanilla extract

Put yeast in bread machine first on bottom, then flour, sugar and salt.  In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt butter, and add milk, water and beaten egg.  Remove from heat.  Pour onto dry ingredients in bread machine.  Put machine on dough cycle (takes about 90 minutes).

On a lightly floured surface, knead gently with a dusting of flour to make it easy to handle.  If it's too springy when you try to roll it out, cover and let it sit about 10 minutes.  I find it to be the most ridiculously easy dough to roll out ever.  With a floured rolling pin, roll out into a rectangle (about 1/4 thick), approximately 12 x 16 or so.  Spread the filling over the entire surface of the dough.

Roll up dough, and slice into about 1" thick rounds.  Place rolls in a greased 9" x 13" pan, or two 9" rounds.  Cover with a towel and let rise about 30 minutes, until doubled in size.  Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes, until the rolls are golden on top.  Let cool, and spread icing on if desired.  I used the recipe below - YUM.


Cream Cheese Icing

4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (I used Neufchatel)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (or 1/4 tsp. vanilla & 1/4 tsp. almond - I prefer that combo)
1 c. powdered sugar

Mix to combine - tastes even better when you make it in advance and let it chill.  Can be frozen - makes a large batch.

Popular posts from this blog

Layered Mexican Trifle Salad

So this is awesome.  It's a lot of work, but it is awesome.  Feeds a crowd, looks cool, tastes great.  What more can you ask for?  I first had this at a party, and then tracked down the recipe - I believe it was originally from Pampered Chef.  You can mix it up, but I really like this combo.  It's easy to double or whatever is needed, based on the serving dish.  The one pictured was MASSIVE, and was basically a triple batch - so much work, and at the last minute! Layered Mexican Trifle Salad I ngredients: Beans: drain, rinse and mix together 1 15 oz. can pinto beans and 1 15 oz. can black beans 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained (I've also used fresh) 1 large tomato, diced (I usually use several Roma tomatoes) 2 green bell peppers, diced 3 ripe avocadoes, diced and mashed with the juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper to taste 1 large onion, diced (red or white) 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded 2 cups cheddar or...

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti & Asiago Cheese

We ALL really love this recipe. This is based on a recipe from the good people at Cooks Illustrated - I am grateful to them for getting my kids to happily eat sundried tomatoes and broccoli!  I've also made this in a huge batch and served it family-style for a dinner party (and got to use my giant Pampered Chef Simple Additions square pasta bowl (it's really big), and it was AWESOME).  If people could have licked the bowl clean, they might have - there was NOTHING left. Try this, and love it: Chicken, Broccoli, Penne and Asiago Cheese  Skillet 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch squares 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or olive oil - just don't heat that to smoking) 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup) 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.) 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes 8 oz. ziti or penne (2 /12 cups) 3 c. water 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth 3-4 c. broccoli florets 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chop...

Shredded Korean-Style Beef

I could eat this Korean-style shredded beef every week - the kids love it, the husband loves it, and it's so easy! This recipe is a great one for a freezer meal, too - I usually make a double batch to serve half and freeze the other half. It's a go-to when I need a meal to share with a someone who needs one in our school community. I'll throw in a bag of tortilla chips and guac with pico, some fresh pineapple or other fruit, and all of the fixings for the tacos.  You can even buy pre-washed lettuce leaves for wraps if you want to include those and you want a short-cut.  It seems to be a universal favorite for kids and adults. Shredded Korean-Style Beef 2-3 lb. chuck roast 1/2 medium white onion, diced 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp. rice vinegar 1 tsp. sesame oil 1/3 c. honey 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground) 1/2 jalapeno, minced 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper Put in the roast and onions in your slow cooker, and whi...