Skip to main content

M&M Sugar Cookies


My daughter LOVES to bake. 

When asked, she told someone our last name was Baker because her mom bakes a lot.  I love it.  I don't always love baking with little hands helping, since it makes a gigantic mess 99% of the time, so I need to be relaxed and in a good mood to bake with assistance.  Today we baked a few of these, and we're going to bake some fresh for the school bake sale in a few days, so a batch was tossed in the freezer until then.  She did a great job placing the candies on the cookies before baking - the perfect job for little helpers.

I get sick of the baking part when making big batches of cookies, so I usually freeze 1/2 the dough in the correct portions, and bake the rest.  I like to include a dessert with meals I bring to families, so I bake up some brownies or cookies, or send a bag of frozen cookie dough they can bake fresh at home.  It's nice to have the frozen dough on hand.


M&M Sugar Cookies      

2-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/4 sticks unsalted butter, softened (room temp)
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs
2 c. plain M&M’s

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.  In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed.  Beat until creamy, approx 3 to 6 minutes. Add vanilla. Add eggs and beat until well blended.  Then add the flour mixture a little at a time, and mix until just combined.  (I have also just mixed the M&M's in at this point - if you want to place them on the cookies, great, but I found this to work just fine.)  Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.
 
Form 1 to 2 tablespoonfuls of cookie dough into a ball and place on cookie sheet, leaving space between to allow for spreading. Place as many or as few M&M’s as you like onto each ball (or if you already mixed them in, you're done!).

To prepare: preheat oven to 350 degrees, then bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.  Leaving on them on the tray will ensure soft cookies.  Let them cool completely, then store in an airtight container.

To freeze, prepare the cookies, but rather than putting them in the oven, stick the whole tray in the freezer.  Once the cookies are frozen through, you can place them in a freezer bag, and then take out as many as you like to bake.  Just bake them as directed, right from the freezer.

Popular posts from this blog

Layered Mexican Trifle Salad

So this is awesome.  It's a lot of work, but it is awesome.  Feeds a crowd, looks cool, tastes great.  What more can you ask for?  I first had this at a party, and then tracked down the recipe - I believe it was originally from Pampered Chef.  You can mix it up, but I really like this combo.  It's easy to double or whatever is needed, based on the serving dish.  The one pictured was MASSIVE, and was basically a triple batch - so much work, and at the last minute! Layered Mexican Trifle Salad I ngredients: Beans: drain, rinse and mix together 1 15 oz. can pinto beans and 1 15 oz. can black beans 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained (I've also used fresh) 1 large tomato, diced (I usually use several Roma tomatoes) 2 green bell peppers, diced 3 ripe avocadoes, diced and mashed with the juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper to taste 1 large onion, diced (red or white) 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded 2 cups cheddar or...

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti & Asiago Cheese

We ALL really love this recipe. This is based on a recipe from the good people at Cooks Illustrated - I am grateful to them for getting my kids to happily eat sundried tomatoes and broccoli!  I've also made this in a huge batch and served it family-style for a dinner party (and got to use my giant Pampered Chef Simple Additions square pasta bowl (it's really big), and it was AWESOME).  If people could have licked the bowl clean, they might have - there was NOTHING left. Try this, and love it: Chicken, Broccoli, Penne and Asiago Cheese  Skillet 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch squares 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or olive oil - just don't heat that to smoking) 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup) 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.) 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes 8 oz. ziti or penne (2 /12 cups) 3 c. water 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth 3-4 c. broccoli florets 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chop...

Shredded Korean-Style Beef

I could eat this Korean-style shredded beef every week - the kids love it, the husband loves it, and it's so easy! This recipe is a great one for a freezer meal, too - I usually make a double batch to serve half and freeze the other half. It's a go-to when I need a meal to share with a someone who needs one in our school community. I'll throw in a bag of tortilla chips and guac with pico, some fresh pineapple or other fruit, and all of the fixings for the tacos.  You can even buy pre-washed lettuce leaves for wraps if you want to include those and you want a short-cut.  It seems to be a universal favorite for kids and adults. Shredded Korean-Style Beef 2-3 lb. chuck roast 1/2 medium white onion, diced 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp. rice vinegar 1 tsp. sesame oil 1/3 c. honey 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground) 1/2 jalapeno, minced 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper Put in the roast and onions in your slow cooker, and whi...