Skip to main content

Sloppy Joes

There's nothing wrong with a sloppy joe!

I'm not talking those freaky mystery meat concoctions of lunch lady lore, but a good, homemade sloppy joe.  My grandma made "Souper Burgers" (I found out they were called this later - we called them "BBQs") based on a Campbell's recipe, and I made those for a long time, but now we're branched out.  Here's a little healthier take on a classic - feel free to share your favorite sloppy joe recipes!  We like to toast brioche buns a little bit, and serve with homemade freezer pickles.

Sloppy Joes


1 lb. lean ground beef or ground round
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 c. finely chopped [read: hidden from kids] cremini mushrooms
1 can of petite diced tomatoes (you can dice your own if you like)
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. water
1/4 c.cider vinegar
1/4 c.  chili sauce  such as Heinz
1/4 c. ketchup
2 tbsp. yellow mustard (optional)

 8 hamburger buns, toasted if desired

Cook beef over medium heat with onion and mushrooms and cook until beef is completely browned. Drain off some fat if needed - if there's just a little bit left, leave it. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat,  Let it cook, stirring occasionally to avoid burning, until thickened. You can serve on warm buns, or cool completely and freeze. Thaw in fridge, reheat on stove or in slow cooker.

Popular posts from this blog

Layered Mexican Trifle Salad

So this is awesome.  It's a lot of work, but it is awesome.  Feeds a crowd, looks cool, tastes great.  What more can you ask for?  I first had this at a party, and then tracked down the recipe - I believe it was originally from Pampered Chef.  You can mix it up, but I really like this combo.  It's easy to double or whatever is needed, based on the serving dish.  The one pictured was MASSIVE, and was basically a triple batch - so much work, and at the last minute! Layered Mexican Trifle Salad I ngredients: Beans: drain, rinse and mix together 1 15 oz. can pinto beans and 1 15 oz. can black beans 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained (I've also used fresh) 1 large tomato, diced (I usually use several Roma tomatoes) 2 green bell peppers, diced 3 ripe avocadoes, diced and mashed with the juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper to taste 1 large onion, diced (red or white) 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded 2 cups cheddar or...

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, Ziti & Asiago Cheese

We ALL really love this recipe. This is based on a recipe from the good people at Cooks Illustrated - I am grateful to them for getting my kids to happily eat sundried tomatoes and broccoli!  I've also made this in a huge batch and served it family-style for a dinner party (and got to use my giant Pampered Chef Simple Additions square pasta bowl (it's really big), and it was AWESOME).  If people could have licked the bowl clean, they might have - there was NOTHING left. Try this, and love it: Chicken, Broccoli, Penne and Asiago Cheese  Skillet 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch squares 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or olive oil - just don't heat that to smoking) 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup) 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp.) 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes 8 oz. ziti or penne (2 /12 cups) 3 c. water 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth 3-4 c. broccoli florets 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chop...

Shredded Korean-Style Beef

I could eat this Korean-style shredded beef every week - the kids love it, the husband loves it, and it's so easy! This recipe is a great one for a freezer meal, too - I usually make a double batch to serve half and freeze the other half. It's a go-to when I need a meal to share with a someone who needs one in our school community. I'll throw in a bag of tortilla chips and guac with pico, some fresh pineapple or other fruit, and all of the fixings for the tacos.  You can even buy pre-washed lettuce leaves for wraps if you want to include those and you want a short-cut.  It seems to be a universal favorite for kids and adults. Shredded Korean-Style Beef 2-3 lb. chuck roast 1/2 medium white onion, diced 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp. rice vinegar 1 tsp. sesame oil 1/3 c. honey 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground) 1/2 jalapeno, minced 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper Put in the roast and onions in your slow cooker, and whi...