Tuesday, August 23, 2011

If Cukes Ruled the World...

Thankfully, they don't. 

But they could, if we let them!  A garden novice, I learned last season that you don't need to plant 4 cucumber plants, unless you're going to feed the entire state.  We ate them on EVERYTHING.  Anyone who visited our house left with at least one.  I literally knocked on doors handing them out.  Our garden is made up of  three raised beds; the plants gradually took over one entire bed, and attempted to cross over to the other ones. 

Finally I whipped out a family recipe for freezer pickles - I thought it would be too hard, so I had never tried it.  Maybe I should have read the recipe - it's really not.  I only planted one plant this year, so today I only made 2 lb. of them, but you can adjust the recipe to your needs.  Last year I made 8 jars, and I gave a few away, but we finished most of them ourselves.  Enjoy!

Easy Freezer Pickles
8 lbs. cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced onion
3 T salt
4 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
1 t. celery seed
1 t. ground turmeric
1 t. mustard seed
½ t. alum

In a large container, combine cucumbers, onion, salt; mix well.  Let stand for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.  Drain and rinse.  In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients; let stand for 2-3 hours, stirring often.  Pour over the cucumber mixture and stir well.  Pack into 1 pt. freezer containers, leaving 1 inch headspace.  Cover and freeze.  Thaw before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Can you do a post on if cabbage ruled the world? Josh planted 8-12 cabbages I have no idea what to do with them:)

    I have cucumbers I need to save but not 8 lbs worth:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Time to make sauerkraut? I will look for some good recipes. I know one can get GIANT. I made 2 lb of cukes from about 4 of and filled 3 small jars and 2 larger ones.

    ReplyDelete