Skip to main content

Homemade Applesauce

One of the best things about fall is homemade applesauce.

I don't eat the stuff that comes in a jar - no offense if you do, but I grew up on homemade applesauce.  My grandparents made and froze TONS of it, and kept us well-supplied.  I've been making it every fall myself now, and my kids love it, too.

Again, it's hard to call this a recipe, because it's really easy - it just requires some time.  There are lots of ways to make it, and lots of things you can do to it, but I keep it pretty simple.  Here's my method below, and here's a link from the local paper with pictures and more details.


Homemade Applesauce



  • APPLES - use whatever kind you like, but I used a mix of Empires, Cortlands, Gala and Macs, I think - it was a mix from an afternoon at an orchard and what we had in the fruit bowl
  • a little bit of water
  • cinnamon


Yep, that's it.  That's why it's so good!

Lately, I've thoroughly washed my apples, then cut them into chunks, and removed the cores, and tossed them in (yes, with the skin) my slow cooker with a little water, and let them cook until they were mushy.  The nice thing about this is that the house smells awesome, and you don't have to babysit the apples.  You can also steam them on the stove, or cook them in a big pot with a little water until they're soft.  Just pay attention so you don't run out of water and burn the apples.

Then I use a food mill, and run all the good stuff through, the skin is left behind, and a nice, smooth sauce results.  I stir in a little shake of cinnamon, and usually grab a spoon and eat some warm right out of the bowl.  You can also peel the apples, cook them, and then use a potato masher, food mill or whatever you like to mash it up.  Some people like a chunkier sauce, some like a more smooth consistency.  I know some are concerned about the chemicals with the skin, but since it's what I've always known, and since I know how the apples were treated where we got them AND I washed and dried them well, I feel ok with it. Everyone's different, so do what makes you happy.


One trick from my childhood  (the family secret!) - my grands used a sprinkle of those red hot cinnamon candies in the sauce, and it turned it a rosy pink color and added to the cinnamon flavor.  

Popular posts from this blog

Layered Mexican Trifle Salad

So this is awesome.  It's a lot of work, but it is awesome.  Feeds a crowd, looks cool, tastes great.  What more can you ask for?  I first had this at a party, and then tracked down the recipe - I believe it was originally from Pampered Chef.  You can mix it up, but I really like this combo.  It's easy to double or whatever is needed, based on the serving dish.  The one pictured was MASSIVE, and was basically a triple batch - so much work, and at the last minute! Layered Mexican Trifle Salad I ngredients: Beans: drain, rinse and mix together 1 15 oz. can pinto beans and 1 15 oz. can black beans 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained (I've also used fresh) 1 large tomato, diced (I usually use several Roma tomatoes) 2 green bell peppers, diced 3 ripe avocadoes, diced and mashed with the juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper to taste 1 large onion, diced (red or white) 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded 2 cups cheddar or jack cheese, shredded

Shredded Korean-Style Beef

I could eat this Korean-style shredded beef every week - the kids love it, the husband loves it, and it's so easy! This recipe is a great one for a freezer meal, too - I usually make a double batch to serve half and freeze the other half. It's a go-to when I need a meal to share with a someone who needs one in our school community. I'll throw in a bag of tortilla chips and guac with pico, some fresh pineapple or other fruit, and all of the fixings for the tacos.  You can even buy pre-washed lettuce leaves for wraps if you want to include those and you want a short-cut.  It seems to be a universal favorite for kids and adults. Shredded Korean-Style Beef 2-3 lb. chuck roast 1/2 medium white onion, diced 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp. rice vinegar 1 tsp. sesame oil 1/3 c. honey 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground) 1/2 jalapeno, minced 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper Put in the roast and onions in your slow cooker, and whi

Oven Baked Pizza Subs

I have fond memories of pizza subs from my college days. We would scrounge up any change or small bills we could find, and pile in someone's car and head to Mineo's for a late night pizza sub.  They were cheap, and they were hot, melty, and delicious.  Here's my attempt at a recipe: Oven Baked Pizza Subs 4-6  hoagie rolls oregano or Italian seasoning slices of provolone cheese (or mozzarella) slices of pepperoni (I get it sliced at the deli for nice big pieces) slices of genoa salami  slices of your favorite ham, sliced very thin 1/2 lb. Italian sausage, browned and drained (turkey Italian sausage is pretty good - optional) your favorite pizza sauce veggies if desired (and I desire them on the parental sandwiches) - thin green pepper slices, thin onion slices, mushrooms if you're into them, banana peppers, etc.   Have on hand: shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and if you like, mayo - for a really delish spread, mix some mayo, a dash of red wine vinegar, a tiny scoop