Monday, September 17, 2012

Makin' it Work...

So working outside the home again means a LOT less time to do things I like to do, but it's a good thing.

I will eventually post a meal plan on here, but I can't stick to Mondays every week.  This week, the hubs got sick (I admit, I thought it was man sick at first, but it was legit, and gross and horrible) so he wasn't hungry or able to eat much, or do some of the usual things he does to help, so we ended up improvising a lot by the end of the week.  Here's a first-thought plan for meals, but also my "recipe" (it's pretty much too easy to call a recipe) for the beef roast dinner we had tonight...

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Pasta with Chicken & Veggies
Taco Salads
Pizza Night
???

Old School Meat & Potatoes Dinner

1 (totally not old school grass-fed, organic, awesome Ney's) chuck roast, between 2-4lb.
2 medium onions, quartered
3-4 carrots, cut into 2-3" chunks, or a few handfuls of baby carrots
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup-ish of water or beef broth
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp. Kosher salt

You can sear the roast for a little extra flavor, or just toss it in the slow cooker with everything else.  Then set it, and forget it!  If I do it in the morning before work, I go with 6 or 8 hours (probably medium if yours has low/med/hi) - my cooker goes to "warm" once it's done - and make sure I add a little more liquid.   If you like, toss in some potatoes, and those will cook right along with everything else.

Or, you can make up some mashed potatoes and some gravy with the cooking liquids.  It's super easy - I just pour off the juices in a gravy separator to get rid of some of the grease, and then heat to boiling over med-hi heat in a saucepan.  I love arrowroot starch - it makes a very smooth gravy.  Mix a teaspoon or two in with a little water or juices, and stir until smooth, then whisk into your cooking liquids to prevent lumps.  Then reduce heat, and season with salt & pepper to taste.  So easy!

Tip: You can buy double of everything, prep one set for the slow cooker, and then prep the second set of ingredients in a freezer bag, and freeze it for another date.  Then you can put it in the fridge to thaw overnight, and throw it in the slow cooker with no searing or chopping!   I just wouldn't freeze the potatoes, unless you make some mashed and  then freeze them that way.

2 comments:

  1. Right here is the right blog for everyone who hopes to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a subject that has been written about for ages. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete