Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Veggies

I love corned beef.  The rest of the family does not. 

Seriously, how can you not love a REUBEN?  Tender corned beef, delish rye bread, melty Swiss cheese, Thousand Island, Sauerkraut (I'm a convert, thanks to a mom from school who made us authentic Reubens for a staff lunch at school a few years ago.  I don't get CRAZY, but I do put it on now, for sure. Anyway, I try to make a healthier version of the sandwich (I found some ridiculous substitutes when I was on WW, but I like to taste my food, so I just act responsibly with my portions, and not indulge in these kind of sandwiches too often.

Anyway, back to the beef.  Since it's St. Patty's Day this week, I thought I'd throw this one out here.  I'm sure the grocery stores will have some sweet deals -maybe even a meal deal so you can buy the meat and get the veggies free, so do a little shopping around.  I'm borrowing the recipe from the woman who used her crock pot every day for a year, mostly because I love the direction: "Trim excess fat from hunk o' meat. Try not to hurl."  That makes me chuckle.  I also like her quantities, as I cook with minimal measuring.  So whip up this baby (I know a friend who does it in her garage or on her deck since she hates it so much, but her man loves it), and use the leftovers for some Reubens!  Here ya go:

Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Veggies

1 package of Corned Beef with seasoning packet
Some potatoes (I used 8 mini white potatoes cut in fourths)
1 bunch of celery cut in 2-inch chunks
1 largish handful of baby carrots
1/2 cup of water (Do not add if you are making this the night before. Add right before cooking.)

Chop up potatoes and celery and put them in the bottom of the crock. Trim excess fat from hunk o' meat. Try not to hurl. Place on top of veggies. Sprinkle on seasoning packet. Add water.  Drink wine. This is hard work. You deserve it.  I assembled everything the night before (minus the water), and put it into a Tupperware in the refrigerator.  In the morning I dumped the food into the slow cooker and added water. I cooked this for 10 hours. If you are cooking on high, I'd check after 5 hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment