Thursday, February 2, 2012

Savory Pork Carnitas

Love these carnitas!

We had these this week with our freezer meal swap (and by the way, this is a great "gateway meal" to make in bulk - I cranked out 12 of them in less than 30 minutes).  I got this recipe from my mom, who clipped it from the newspaper.  I like to serve with some queso fresco, scallions, and diced tomatoes, and sometimes a little avocado or sour cream.  I just watched an old episode of America's Test Kitchen, and they had a delish recipe for carnitas, too, so if you want to get a little fancier, look that one up.

We make it pretty regularly, and I've brought it to a number of families - either thawed and ready to go in the crock pot, or cooked and ready to serve.  When I bring it, I include shells, containers of sour cream, cheese, diced Roma tomatoes, an avocado, and sliced scallions.  Then I include a bag of chips and a jar of salsa, and either veggies & dip or fresh fruit for a side.  It's a little departure from the typical taco meal.  It's also a good one to make to feed a group - once I fed about 20 people with this - fairly easy and affordable.  Costco has these lean pork roasts in 3 packs that work well.
 
Savory Pork Carnitas

1 Boston butt pork roast (3- 4 lb.) trimmed of fat
1 pkg. (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning (or use your own)
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 large onion, diced (I use about 1 cup, or 1/2 a large onion)
1 can (4 oz.) whole green chiles, drained (I use diced, and go medium for more kick)
1 cup water

Include with meal: 1 pkg. flour (or corn) tortillas

Optional garnishes: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, sour cream,
lime wedges, chopped green onions, fresh cilantro

Place roast, taco seasoning, garlic, onion and chiles in 4 1/2 - 6 qt. slow cooker. Add water. Stir to combine. Coverand cook til tender enough to shred (6 hours on high, 10 hours on low). Remove from the cooker and shred meat with a fork. Spread evenly down the center of the tortillas and roll. Repeat. Serve with your favorite garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment