Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chicken, Sausage & Peppers

No Sense Re-Inventing the Wheel...

Tonight I am doing a leftovers dinner - but, I'll still leave you with a recipe, which I'm borrowing: Chicken, Sausage & Peppers from the 365 Days of Slow Cooking blog.  (I LOVE using my slow cooker - especially during sports season, which is basically year-round in this house).  I'm going to road test this one as a freezer meal and see what happens.  I've put my intended adjustments below.

Makes 4 servings

1 red bell pepper, cut into strips (I think I'll add a yellow pepper, too)
1/2 lb ground sausage, browned and drained
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut each thigh into 4 pieces
1 small onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
To freeze: combine all ingredients in a freezer storage bag, and knead to combine.

To prepare: thaw in fridge, then transfer to slow cooker.  Cover and cook on LOW 4-6 hours. 

The author suggests serving over rice, but I'm going to try it with egg noodles. (so I'd include a bag with a meal swap)

No comments:

Post a Comment